Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Just got home and our GSHP who is 66# ***** two HotShot any traps.

Customer Question

Just got home and our GSHP who is 66# ***** two HotShot any traps. Found the rememants on one. The other one is gone. We put them out on Friday and she left them alone all weekend. She never gets into anything so this is strange for her. She's acting fine. Just not sure of what we should look for. Thanks for your help!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: German shorthaires pointer female dog
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know if the pointer will be able to digest that. What is the pointer's name?
Customer: Leila
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Leila?
Customer: I just filled her water bowl and she drank the entire thing.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Can you tell me the active ingredient in the HotShot ant trap?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Indoxacarb 0.05%
Alright. That active ingredient isn't going to be a toxicity situation for a dog his size. In a situation like this, the possible biggest concern is the actual trap itself causing a foreign body. There are unknowns here in that he could have eaten this in very small pieces that could pass. He could have eaten it in larger pieces / whole that may not pass. Basically these cases are typically handled through a wait and see situation. If he starts to vomit, get dumpy, lose appetite for 24 hours, or have abdominal pain - then a possible blockage may have happened. If the one trap was in remnants, maybe the other is too and just in another place.