Dr H
Dr H, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at RAH
93727516

I HAVE A MALTESE FEMALE WHO HAS HAD 4 SUCCESSFUL LITTERS AND

Customer Question

i HAVE A MALTESE FEMALE WHO HAS HAD 4 SUCCESSFUL LITTERS AND IS JUST OVER 4 YRS OLD--SHE HAD A LITTER OF 5 HER LAST HEAT LAST FALL AND IT WAS AMIDST STRESS BETWEEN MY HUSBAND AND I DISAGREEING ON WHERE SHE SHOULD BE SITUATED BECAUSE WHERE SHE HAD BEEN BEING KEPT WHILE WE WERE AWAY AT WORK HAD CHANGED OVER THE LAST FEW MONTHS, SO SHE WAS CONFUSED AND WANTED TO HAVE HER PUPS ON THE COUCH WHERE SHE HAD GOTTEN USE TO BEING INSTEAD OF THE LAUNDRY ROOM WHERE SHE HAD SLEPT IN THE PAST--SOOOOO WHEN SHE BASICALLY IGNORED THE PUPS AS THEY WERE BORN ONE BY ONE, OR WHAT WAS EVEN MORE HORRIFYING, SHE BEGAN EATING THEM DOWN TO THE SKULLS, I GOT MORE AND MORE UPSET AND EVERYTHING ENDED WITH US TRYING TO KEEP ONE SURVIOR WARM AND FED AND AS WE WERE INEXPERIENCED AT IT, THE POOR LITTLE THING DIED AS WELL A DAY LATER--SO i PROMPTLY REINITIATED HER STAYING IN THE TRIED AND TRUE PLACES TO SLEEP AND HANG OUT WHILE WE WERE AT WORK, AND WHEN HER NEXT HEAT CAME AROUND THIS SPRING, HAD HER BRED AGAIN TO SEE IF THAT WAS THE PROBLEM, OR IF IT WAS SOMETHING ELSE---AND WHEN WE HAD HER XRAYED, THERE WERE 2 PUPS--AND AS LUCK WOULD HAVE IT, WE WERE SCHEDULED TO BE OUT OF TOWN A WEEK BEFORE HER DUE DATE--HAD SOMEONE SHE LIKED COME AND LET HER OUT AND FEED HER AND THEN THE DAY WE CAME HOME WE FOUND HER IN THE MIDDLE OF LABOR AND THAT SHE HAD EATEN A PUP CAUSE ALL THAT WAS LEFT IN HER PEN WAS THE SKULL--AND SO SINCE IN THE PAST SHE HAD ALWAYS DONE BETTER ON HER OWN WHEN HAVING HER LITTERS THAN WHEN WE WERE AROUND, WE PUT HER BACK IN HER SPOT AND WENT TO BED NOT KNOWING IF SHE HAD HAD THE OTHER PUP PREVIOUSLY AND EATEN THE WHOLE THING, OR WAS STILL GOING TO HAVE IT---BY MORNING WE DIDN'T HAVE MUCH MORE EVIDENCE AS TO ITS DEMISE---WE DID HOWEVER FIND THAT THERE HAD BEEN A HORRIBLE WIND STORM IN OUR TOWN AND RAIN STORM THAT DAY AND OUR SMOKE DETECTOR WENT OFF ALL NIGHT, SO WE COULD ASSUME IT HAD BEEN DOING SO ALL DAY CAUSE THE POWER WENT OFF FOR A TIME AS WELL, SO I IMAGINE WHILE SHE WAS IN LABOR SHE HAD ALL THE THINGS THAT BOTHER HER THE MOST HAPPENING, WIND, STORMS AND THE PIERCING NOISE OF THE SMOKE ALARMS IN THE HOUSE GOING OFF FROM THE POWER INTERRUPTION, SO NOW, I AM JUST WONDERING IF SHE IS EATING HER BABIES CAUSE SHE IS THROUGH WITH CARING FOR PUPPIES, OR IS IT USUAL FOR MALTESE MOMS TO DO SUCH A THING WHEN UNDER STRESS AND IF THEY ONCE START CANNIBALIZING THEM, WILL THEY ALWAYS DO SO---WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH THIS, SHE HAS BEEN SUCH A SWEET MOM TO SO MANY??? MY VET HERE WAS AS SHOCKED AS I WAS AND SAYS IT IS MORE OFTEN FOUND IN NEW MOMS--WHAT IS YOUR EXPERIENCE IF ANY WITH THIS???
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr H replied 9 months ago.
Hi, I'm Dr H, a companion animal veterinarian happy to help with your question.I'm sorry to hear that you're having these problems with your dog. While it's impossible to say with certainty what her behavior will be with future litters, based on your history, I suspect she'll continue to behave this way. Typically, stress/anxiety based behaviors in our pets worsen with age rather than improve. Because of this, I'd advise having her spayed to prevent future probelms. That said, if breeding her is something you absolutely are determined to do, I would advise that you plan to have an elective C-section and hand-rear these pups. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I asked if mature, experienced Maltese Mom's eating their newborn pups was a common occurrence and this question was not answered--Please answer my question