Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My almost 14 yo Old English Sheepdog is diabetic and arthritic.

Customer Question

My almost 14 yo Old English Sheepdog is diabetic and arthritic. We give her two -28mg shots a day of vetsulin and 1 1/2 (150mg) of Rimadyl (and 1/2 600mg Gabapentin twice a day). These medicines are killing me financially. I'm particularly interested in an alternative to the $90 Rimadyl but the $65 per week for Vetsulin is also hurting us. Any recommendations are really appreciated. She is about 80lbs..perhaps a bit less these days. Thank you
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry the dog has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Stella
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stella?
Customer: She has been on Vetsulin for over a year and we have titrated to 28mg twice a day. She does get spot checked on occasion and the sorta equivalent of a human A1C every few months...sometimes a glucose curve where we leave her all day. She is also probably blind in one eye and increasingly poor vision in the other....but...she still has some pep in her...gets excited about a few things. No waste elimination problems. Her last blood test a couple of months ago did show some pretty high liver enzymes...but she had a cough/sneeze then that has gone away. Our vet, I think I recall, said the enzymes could be caused by a number of factors around the specific symptoms/glucose levels/arthritic pain...etc.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Stella! Can you tell me, is she on any medication besides the Rimadyl and insulin right now?
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes...I forgot that she is also taking 1/2 600mg gabapentin twice a day. thanks
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry, for some reason the morning you were posting the website was acting up and it wouldn't let me access your question. If someone else answered it already, then I will not continue, but if no one else answered your question, let me know and I can give you some ideas!