Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

She has been throwing up and/or convulsing when she eats her

Customer Question

She has been throwing up and/or convulsing when she eats her kibble. She's been doing this fairly consistently over the last week or two.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not really... maybe... we often throw in a tablespoon of canned chunk chicken, tuna or mackerel to entice her. She is overweight, and still eats well, but she's spoiled and won't eat dry kibble unless there's something in it...
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Annie.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Annie?
Customer: Other than being old and overweight, I guess not. She hasn't seen a vet in over a year. Probably sh
ould take her in for her annual shots soon.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Such behavior suggests dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) due to either severe inflammation/ulceration in the esophagus, an esophageal disorder such as megaesophagus (the normally rigid esophagus becomes ballooned out), or an obstructive lesion in the esophagus or oropharynx (back of the throat). Annie needs her vet to thoroughly examine her paying particular attention to her oral cavity, oropharynx and esophagus. Sedation and scoping of those areas as well as X-rays of her upper gastrointestinal tract may be recommended. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.