Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog started excessive drooling Friday night, took him to

Customer Question

My dog started excessive drooling Friday night, took him to emergency clinic Saturday morning they gave him a shot of atropine and it worked for about 36 hours, now the drooling is back. He is soaked. Everything was normal, nothing in his mouth heart rate was normal??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
Karen, were any diagnostics in form of blood and urine tests performed at the ER? If so, can you upload the test results for me to review? Such drooling in the absence or oral lesions suggests esophageal inflammation/ulceration and/or gastrointestinal distress resulting in nausea. Ptyalism (drooling) doesn't clarify the cause of the nausea, however. Conservative care would involve the administration of an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) dosed at 0.25 mg/lb at 12 hour intervals if necessary.