PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My vet wants to clean 12 yr wheaton terriers teeth to the tune

Customer Question

my vet wants to clean 12 yr wheaton terriers teeth to the tune of was done
a year still eats dry food and does not seem sick......blood work came back
a little high on protein but not that out of peridontal disease?????
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
A dog does not need to be avoiding food to have periodontal disease, as there are varying grades that we see. It's only in the more advanced stages that you'd see the avoiding of food because of oral discomfort. There's a very useful link here that shows pictures and discusses the stages with pictures: your companion only has stage 0 or 1 disease, it may not be necessary to prioritize having a cleaning performed immediately. If more advanced and the mouth is showing signs of more concerns, that would be why your vet had recommended the dental workup. Keep in mind, just because your vet is your preferred place for care...this doesn't mean you cannot go elsewhere to have a dental cleaning performed. $1000 for a dental cleaning (I would expect this may cover dental x-rays and so forth) is a bit steep in the USA for just the basic stuff, so you may want to ask what this includes and see if you can work the care he needs down to a more affordable price. It's your vet's job to offer you the best care he can provide, but also to work with your budget if you have one. You can also contact other clinics to see what their price for dental cleanings happens to be (make sure you know what the $1000 entails so you can compare apples to apples if you call around). Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to using the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.
Hi, JACustomer. Checking in to see how things are going with your Wheaton.