Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

He is a retriever/shepherd mix, 15 yrs old. sleeps but wakes

Customer Question

He is a retriever/shepherd mix, 15 yrs old. sleeps but wakes up in the middle of the night, and whimpers EVERY night. Then I go downstairs (he used to sleep upstairs but has a hard time going down in the morning) and he settles down but I have to stay on the couch. I am exhausted. He has anxiety meds from vet but doesnt seem to work. He seems fine, eats, walks, poops okay, just had an exam, and he takes Rimadyl for arthritis. Is there ANYTHING out there to make him sleep at night??? Thanks!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Axel
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Axel?
Customer: Not really, he has had a fatty tumor for like 3 years, but they do not want to remove it, so far his blood is okay, a little high but not abnormally high so I can still give him the Rimadyl meds. Other than that he seems fine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your dog. It sounds like he probably has a degree of canine cognitive dysfunction- basically dog dementia. There is no real cure for this condition, but we can do things to help slow the signs and improve some of the signs so that the overall quality of life improves. The first is Anipryl. This can work well for the condition in dogs to normalize some of the daily behaviors. Here is a nice write up on the condition and Anipryl:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2549 The other thing worth considering, is Melatonin. This is available over the counter, and it is used to help normalize sleep cycles in dogs and people. The dose we use is 0.1 mg per kg body weight ~ 30 minutes before bed. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I will definitely try Melatonin and see if my Vet will prescribe Anipryl. Thank you and I will keep in touch.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. I hope it helps.