Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

We have a 10 week old Collie Kelpie. Initial Vacc done.

Customer Question

We have a 10 week old Collie Kelpie. Initial Vacc done. He is dragging his belly & obviously his willie area across the lawn. No redness. He is weeing regularly but not a lot of wee at a time
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now if he is dragging his belly, this is usually a sign of allergic skin irritation even without redness (that usually is secondary once they rub). That said, if he is passing small volumes of urine often, then we could also have an underlying bladder infection here.Therefore, if you are also seeing straining and trying to pass urine often, we'd want to plan to have him seen by his vet. They can analyse a urine sample to confirm infection (while ruling out other issues like urine crystals) and start antibiotics to clear it. Though if you aren't seeing those other signs, we can try to rule out belly irritation. To do so, consider rinsing the belly with cool water +/- using an emollient shampoo (ie oatmeal based) to soothe the skin. As well, you can try him with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Overall, these signs do raise a few concerns. If he just seems irritated, then we can try the antihistamine for him now. Though any other urinary signs and an infection would be suspect and something we'd want a check up for to get nipped in the bud for your wee lad. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?