Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 12 yr old dog was just prescribed Vetmedin, fortekor and

Customer Question

My 12 yr old dog was just prescribed Vetmedin, fortekor and a diuetic.
She has Grade 4 Congestive Heart Failure. She heas been on Vetmedin for 5 days but we took her off it today because she has lost her appetite and is lethargic. Tonight her heart seems ti be beating fast. Is this OK until we can speak to the vet tomorrow?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. As long as her gum are not paling (they should be pink) and her breathing rate is <30 breaths per minute at rest; then it is ok to monitor her and her heart rate until her vet is open. If those parameters are not normal or her heart rate is irregular or >160 beats in a minute), then her distress is likely why she isn't active or eating (she may not be able to spare a breath) and we'd need to have her seen sooner. And if she is struggling and they aren't open just now, we may even need to have the local ER vet put her on oxygen until your vet can assess her and discuss treatment options at this stage. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me &ndash; I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )