PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

She won't eat today and she went out several times tonight

Customer Question

She won't eat today and she went out several times tonight to poop, but she just squatted and nothing came out. Now she is lying in the floor crying a little.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is an 11 yo black lab weighing about 85 lbs.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Magic?
Customer: She is very healthy, had parvo as a puppy and has several fat tumors.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Has Magic eaten anything recently that she shouldn't have such as trash? torn up a toy? bones? 2) Is she having any diarrhea? 3) When was her last bowel movement? 4) Is she still eating and drinking? 5) Any blood from the rectum?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She has not eaten anything unusual, she was chasing a tree frog on the sidewalk Sat night. No diarrhea, Sat morning was last bm. Still drinking water, not eating. Didn't see any blood, but she has been licking herself alot.
Thanks for your reply. If she's licking back there, unable/unwilling to go and she's also not eating, I would be concerned that her anal glands are bothering her. She's showing every symptom we typically see with dogs who have impacted or infected anal glands. I would drop her by your vet's office to have them checked (typically runs about $20) to see if there are abnormalities. If they cannot express them for an abnormality or find nothing wrong, I would then upgrade the visit into an exam especially since she's whimpering and showing signs of pain. Hopefully this will be a simple fix for her. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to using the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She just ate today about 1300 hrs.
This is a good sign. The question will be whether or not she will defecate. If she's unwilling or unable to go, she most certainly needs some determination on what's wrong. If she begins defecating, she may have made it over the hump and is feeling much better.
Good evening, Customer. Checking in. How is Magic doing?