Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Yes we just bought a shitzu bichon puppy from a man a

Customer Question

hello yes we just bought a shitzu bichon puppy from a man a day ago hes not eating that well, hardly at all he wants to sleep most of the time . hes throw up once a night he d
took water threw it up we praying its not pravo he really doesn't want to eat
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. Certainly, parvo would be a concern, but I would probably look more for intestinal parasites or stress of a new environment. Even if isn't as serious as parvo, I would be concerned about low blood sugar in a small breed puppy that young. They are very prone to hypoglycemia if not eating well. I would highly recommend getting him into the first no later than tomorrow morning. If he seems very weak, is still vomiting, has bloody stool or has a lot of diarrhea; I wouldn't hesitate to get him seen by an emergency vet tonight. If they have parvo, low blood sugar, anemia (possibly from intestinal parasites) or just dehydrated; their condition can get worse very quickly. Rubbing some karo syrup or honey on the gums can help with low blood sugar, but sometimes it spikes it so high, they get an insulin surge that creates low blood sugar again, so you have to be careful with that. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Zuse. How is everything going?

Dr. John