Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Why does my welch corgi nails grow weird back foot crisscr

Customer Question

Why does my welch corgi nails grow weird back foot crisscross?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. In regards ***** ***** question, we can see this associated with a few different issues. The most common in this breed will be malformation of the joints of the toes or underlying dysplasia in the hips or other joints of the back legs. In all cases, the toes are not in the proper position to allow the nails to grow in the correct direction and then be worn on hard surfaces when your dog walks. This leads to odd formations like the criss-crossing you have reported.Otherwise, though often only on one foot, we can see acquired problems with nail growth. This can occur if a dog dislocates or fractures the toes. As well, it can occur if the nail bed is damaged. In all cases, we again get an inappropriate direction of growth leading again odd nail position and growth.Finally, for any situation of this nature, there isn't usually a cure. Instead, we tend to need to identify the trigger, potentially address that, but otherwise plan to monitor the nails and keep them clipped or filed to a standard length where they cannot cause the dog any bother. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?