Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog Polu just started shivering this afternoon, having labored

Customer Question

My dog Polu just started shivering this afternoon, having labored breathing, doesn't want to move, and won't eat. He was fine in the morning after he ate and halfway through the afternoon. We did change his diet last night with freeze dried raw dog food, which he ate and was fine last night. The only change we made this morning was to incorporate goats milk for pets. He ate this and was fine all morning. The other change is that I sprayed a bit of weed killer in our flower bed yesterday afternoon. I did not see him get into any of that though. He is acting like he's hurt, but I'm not sure. I want to make sure he is not poisoned.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what Poul ate?
Customer: His food was called Primal freeze dried nuggets and the goats milk was under the same name called Primal goats milk. Other than that he didn't eat anything else.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Called?
Customer: No, I don't believe so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Any vomiting? 2- What is the name of the weed killer or active ingredient? 3- Can he walk? 4- How much does he weigh? 5- Did you wean him into the new food or changed abruptly?
Friend, it appears you have gone offline. I can not wait any longer, I am sorry. I am going to opt out so another expert could help you if you come back.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Polu's symptoms are important but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. It doesn't sound as if a poisoning is a significant concern. Weed killers such as Round Up (glycophosphate) may cause transient gastrointestinal distress - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea - but not significant toxicity in dogs when a few licks are taken.