Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My daughter and her friend tried to wash my dog with dawn soap

Customer Question

My daughter and her friend tried to wash my dog with dawn soap and got it in his eyes and he won't even open them
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Winston 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Winston?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 7 months ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. Did this just happen?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Happened about six hours ago. My husband tried to flush eyes out with water but Winston wouldn't hold still. I just got home and we both held him down and flushed his eyes out. He didn't like it but he is opening his eyes some now.
Is he squinting? Is there drainage coming from the eyes? Does he seem to be ok now?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes he is squinting. There is no drainage. He is definitely not his normal self but he is opening his eyes a little more. My vet tech friend suggested warm compresses on the eye and 1/2 a pill of Benadryl tablet but I haven't tried that.
Yes, I do think Benadryl is a good idea.1 mg of Benadryl per each pound of dog every 12 hours.Keep flushing the eyes every few hours with just a few drops to keep his eyes moist.In the morning if he is still squinting he will need to see the vet.The reason is the soap can injure the cornea of his eye.The cornea is a superficial layer of cells that covers the front of the eye.It is very sensitive so when there is damage the eye is sensitive and they squint and can have tearing.The vet will put yellow dye in the eye to see if there is damage to the cornea. If there is then the yellow dye will stick.The treatment will be topical antibiotics for the eye. Probably about 7 days. This is to prevent infection.Pain medication may be prescribed as well.Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?
Hi Julia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby