Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate a tube (just partial) of acyclovir ointment 5%.

Customer Question

My dog ate a tube (just partial) of acyclovir ointment 5%. It is a 15g tube I would guess she ingested less than a quarter of it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lucy- she is a mini labradoodle 7 months 15lbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?
Customer: i do not think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK { Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs } 2. However if you fail to induce vomiting or if any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include. A. Where lower amounts were ingested vomiting, diarrhoea, anorexia, and lethargy. B. But the big worry is that obstructive nephropathy from accumulation of crystals in renal tissue { kidney disease } has been associated with ingestion of this drug in dogs. This is more likely where larger amounts were ingested, but it is a good reason to treat all cases of accidental ingestion of acyclovir in the dog aggressively, meaning quick induction of vomiting, administration of activated charcoal, diuretic drugs, and general supportive care. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how Lucy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Acyclovir ingestion ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?