Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog ate a hambone,now he is shakin and shivering,he is 11yrs,cocker

Customer Question

My dog ate a hambone,now he is shakin and shivering,he is 11yrs,cocker and shitzo mix,what should i do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Heathin
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Heathen?
Customer: Been heathy all his life,just want to know if he will be ok.. just lookim at him no more bones for him...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Most bones will be digested by the stomach acid and then pass normally. They can cause some discomfort as they move, explaining the trembling. This applies to chicken, beef and pork bones. We will on occasion find one that gets stuck in the intestine, but more often than not it will break down and pass.To help them move a little easier, I like to bulk up the diet in these dogs. To do this, you can take the dog's normal daily food amount and split it into 3-4 small meals to give every 6-8 hours. This will help keep things moving.If you notice any vomiting or anorexia, then get the dog seen to make sure there is no obstruction or perforation. It would be uncommon, but it's something to keep an eye on for the next 2-3 days.I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. Will keep my eyes on him... no more bones for my little guy,. Seems like too much discomfort for my senior of the house...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Yeah, it's not a good idea. They can handle it, but it makes them pretty miserable for a day or two.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ohhh. Yep will be up with him .. thanks... i fell better knowing he will be ok,but no more bones for my old guy!!!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
You're welcome.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Heathin is doing great... no more bones for my senior citizen!!! Thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Good to hear. Thanks for the update!