Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I need help JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to

Customer Question

I need help
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Hes throwing up fluid like water and he wont eat he drinks water but looks like he cant hold it down im scared ..
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: He could have hes an outside dog
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kiing and hes about 8 to 9 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kiing?
Customer: Thats about it i havent given him anything cus im not sure what to give him he was fine because his sister is fine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. Vomiting in dogs can be due to many things including:1. gastroenteritis (inflammation/ irritation/ infection of gastro-intestinal tract)2. dietary indiscretion3. foreign body obstruction4. pancreatitis (infection of pancreas gland)5. organ/ endocrine abnormality6. cancer in older dogsWe typically shoot x-rays to rule out an obstruction and run bloodwork to rule out pancreatitis and organ disease.The majority of cases will be due to a non-specific gastroenteritis and conservative care at home can often relieve the signs.This is what I would do for now:1. Withhold food and water until he goes 6-8 hours without vomiting2. Give over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 0.25 mg per lb every 12-24 hours3. After the fasting period you can try either a bland diet of broiled chicken/ hamburger and rice. If not available, you can just give small frequent meals (3-4 meals/day rather than 1-2 meals/day). If any diarrhea is noted, you can also give 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin with the meals. The extra fiber helps firm up loose stool and promote normal colon motility.4. This will usually resolve the signs in 2-3 days if a non-specific gastroenteritis.If that does not help, then bloodwork and x-rays may be indicated to rule out other causes and getting an exam and work up would be ideal.I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?