petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats

QUESTION}My Shih Tzu is 2 yrs old. Yesterday, around 3:00 she threw up her breakfast, wh

Customer Question

{QUESTION}My Shih Tzu is 2 yrs old. Yesterday, around 3:00 she threw up her breakfast, which was given to her at 7:00 am. She continued to throw up, at least 5 more times that evening so I did not feed her that night. This morning I feed her at the normal time and she threw up again 3 hours later and once more since. You can tell she is not feeling well but she still wants to eat if I would let her. The other thing is that my grandson was over, 14 yrs old, and he has a tendency to tease her, which I have stopped. However, she started shaking when she saw him and would not come out of the bedroom. It was not long after that she started vomiting the first time.. Her stools seem to be normal and she will follow me around wherever I go. Naturally, this is happening on the weekend, it always does, but if I need to take her to the er I will. Do you think this could wait until Monday?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you. If you have a young dog that is vomiting that frequently, I would not suggest that you wait until Monday for evaluation. . Vomiting is a vague sign that can be associated with simple things like dietary indiscretion to more serious things like intestinal obstruction or metabolic disorders. In young pets, we usually are a little more worried about foreign body ingestion. We decide how aggressive we need to be in diagnosing and treating it based on how severe the symptoms and how long it has been going on. In her case, I would be concerned in that it is going on without resolution for so long. It definitely warrants at least an exam and probably some bloodwork or xrays. The exam may help to rule out obvious things like intestinal masses, but bloodwork is needed to rule out metabolic changes like diabetes, thyroid or kidney disease. Xrays will help to rule out an obstruction. It is not uncommon for all of these tests to be normal and there can still be GI disease present. Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a very common cause of vomiting. At the very minimum, she will need some fluid therapy so she doesn't get dehydrated and an anti-vomiting medication. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.Dr Z