Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 3yr old dog has bad diarrhea from being scared of our friend,

Customer Question

my 3yr old dog has bad diarrhea from being scared of our friend, he goes crazy and that is is what upset his stomach, plus he won't eat, just a treat now and then
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that Shadow has diarrhea and is not eating well.In most cases diarrhea and loss of appetite are triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors. More serious causes include viral or bacterial infections, chronic pancreatitis, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), Addison's disease (a poorly functioning adrenal gland that cannot respond to stressful situations) a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.Because he is a younger pup internal organ failure and cancers are less likely but I mention them to be complete.In a young dog, especially one that hasn't finished his vaccine series, a viral infection such as Parvo virus or a foreign body leading to a partial or full gastrointestinal obstruction would be the most likely cause and both can be deadly. Not all dogs with viral infections run a fever initially, sometimes they are too weak to mount a fever response.I would also be very concerned that this might be related to Addison's disease given that it seemed to be triggered by a stressful event (your friend). Worms can cause loose stools, but rarely cause loss of appetite. Because he is young, if this has been going on for more than a day and if he is drinking poorly too ideally he would see a veterinarian now. This can easily lead to dehydration and she needs fluids.If that isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home, but we cannot replace in clinic intravenous fluids and injectable medications so if he isn't responding quickly he should see a veterinarian promptly.To try and settle his stomach and get him eating you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hoursOR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and should help him feel better and hopefully get him to eat. They can be given for several days if necessary as they are quite safe.I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow her stomach to settle after the acid reducers. In a couple hours when you give him water make sure it is in small amounts only. To get some electrolytes in you can also offer him a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water.Tomorrow morning offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken or lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. If he refuses that you can offer a little meat baby food. If he refuses both then don't push it, he needs hands on veterinary care at that point. But if things go well and he does eat and doesn't vomit and his stools firm up feed him the bland diet for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in his regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert him back to his regular diet.If he continues to not eat, have loose stools, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense painful belly or if he refuses to eat he should see his veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs, intravenous fluids and supportive care.Well worth checking at least a couple fresh stool samples too as parasites commonly cause loose stools and their effects worsen when animals are stressed. Their eggs/cysts are shed intermittently and they may be picked up on the second sample or third test even if the first sample tests negative.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****