Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

The area around my 2 year olds labs right eye is suddenly swollen

Customer Question

The area around my 2 year olds labs right eye is suddenly swollen and he's continuously pawing at it. My buddy was just fine 30-45 mins ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Maximus (Max)
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maximus?
Customer: He's had hot spots before, but nothing else.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Max. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. It sounds like he is having an allergic reaction, possibly to an insect sting or spider bite. They come on this suddenly, cause swelling around the eye, and are itchy. How much does Max weigh? I would try Benadryl, 1 mg per pound (25 mg for a 25 pound dog, 50 mg for 50 pounds) every 2 to 4 hours until the itching and swelling go down. You can also try a cool compress (a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a towel works well). Let me know if this is helpful, and what other questions I can answer.