Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Not eating days, lethargic. Seen by vet on Friday for

Customer Question

Not eating for two days, lethargic. Seen by vet on Friday for nausea and vomiting. Stool sample normal, given bolus of fluids. Significantly worse now.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 3 pound yorkie
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes. Pet yorkie
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the animal?
Customer: They have her an anti nausea shot...started with a s? She's supposed to be taking metronidazole. I've forced it down, but most gets spit back up.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your pup has been lethargic, nauseous and vomiting since Friday in spite of being treated by her veterinarian. I suspect that they gave her an injection of Cerenia (maropitant) which is a potent anti-nausea/antivomiting medication. It normally works very quickly. Did they give pills to follow up with at home?Is she vomiting all of the time or only when you try to medicate her?Did she have loose stools? Metronidazole is an antibiotic with anti-inflammatory properties. We often use it in cases of nonspecific diarrhea. But it is very bitter and dogs with nausea will often drool or may even vomit/gag when it is given. If she isn't improving and is continuing to vomit perhaps give her a break from it today.Vomiting and lethargy can be related to eating something she should not have, too many treats or table food, eating foreign material (which could cause a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction), chronic pancreatitis, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, toxin exposure, a viral or bacterial infection, Addison's disease (hypoadrenocorticism), inflammatory bowel disease, or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.Because she hasn't eaten normally in several days, she continues to vomit and she remains lethargic I am very concerned about her.If she isn't drinking well either, or is vomiting water too she will quickly become dehydrated.Ideally she would see a veterinarian today since this has been going on for more than 72 hours. Simple stomach upset should pass within 24 to 48 hours. They could examine her, run blood tests and possibly check radiographs and/or an ultrasound to evaluate her and know best how to treat her.In the meantime they can administer injectable anti-nausea drugs and fluids to rehydrate her.If you cannot have her seen for whatever reason there are some things you can try at home.At home to try and settle her stomach you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet every 12 hoursOR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and may help her feel less nauseous so that she will eat and drink and be able to keep it down. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary. A couple of hours after giving the acid reducer I recommend offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow.If she continues to vomit she should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics and intravenous fluids and supportive care.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****