petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

She is walking wobbly and slipping, she had an episode 1 1/2

Customer Question

She is walking wobbly and slipping, she had an episode 1 1/2 years ago and the vet said it happens a lot in older dogs, that episode was not very long and this is the first one since then. She is 13 years old and a border collie any suggestions
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound but has arthritis and is taking rymadyl and dasuquin for some time now which was helping her alot
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the Border collie's name?
Customer: Roxie is her name and she has been relatively healthy most of her life. She was playing just last night
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Name?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** I am not sure what else to tell you
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance. Has Roxie ever had an xray of her hips and hind legs? Has your vet ever discussed adding other medications to the regime? Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She has athritis in her rear hip and takes dasuquin and rymadyl . They have both helped her a lot. Just last night she was frisky and today mid morning she seemed to get a bout of vertigo , which she had a very briefly 1 1/2 years ago and the vet told me she is just getting old(13) I am wondering if there is something I could give her to help her when she gets like that. As the day has gone on she seems to have improved thank goodness . Any thoughts?
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.
Older dogs can get vertigo that is due to a condition called idiopathic vestibular disease, LINK HERE but it should not be something that comes and goes that quickly. When it occurs, it will usually resolve on it's own, but over a few days to a few weeks. I wonder if her walking and slipping is more a reflection of her arthritis. When they have arthritis, they tend to shift their weight not put full weight on the hindlegs to the point that they can develop some muscle atrophy and weakness in the hindlegs. Also, there is a condition known as degenerative myelopathy which can also lead to hind end weakness which can present with wobbliness and slipping. The concept of multi modal therapy (combining drugs) is very effective however and if the Rimadyl and dasuquin are not enough, adding another drug to the regime may be beneficial. This not only incorporates attacking the pain by a different mechanism of action, but the sometimes synergistic effect of the two drugs together allows you the keep the doses of both down, avoiding potential side effects. Two of the oral drugs I keep in mind to add for pain are Tramadol and Gabapentin. Your vet will know if either is an appropriate choice for Roxie if you need to provide extra pain relief now or on a more chronic level in the future. On top of pain management with drugs, other beneficial options include nutricueticals (supplements). There is not a lot of science based research studies on these, but there is no doubt they help some dogs. The top things to consider are: Fish oil/omega-3's— The active ingredient of fish oil for humans and for dogs is EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) and DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid). The dose recommendations are 180mg EPA and 120 mg DHA per 10 lbs body weight daily.There is a large range of safety and it doesn't have to be that amount exactly but this gives you some guidelines. You just want to make sure you are seeing those on the label as an ingredient and not just the words "fish oil" as these are the important part of the fish oil and not all fish oil capsules have them in it, especially the cheaper ones. Duralactin® is a patented dried milk protein from the milk of hyperimmunized cows. It’s action is to reduce inflammation of osteoarthritis and tissue damage that results because of it. It is available as an oral supplement. Here is a link with more information.Duralactin There are also some newer veterinary diets (Hills j/d) that work very well to provide similar components and increased antioxidants mixed right in with their food. I have had pretty good results with these.j/d for dogs One final option that we have employed with good results is acupuncture. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.Dr Z
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz