Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I'm not sure if my 35lb poodle ate some of my ...Hydrocodone

Customer Question

hi I'm not sure if my 35lb poodle ate some of my ...Hydrocodone - acetaminophen pills they are 5-325 mg pills . i found her with bottle lid chewed off and 3 pills on the floor and looks like she just mouthed them , but i don't know if she ate any of them ..cause i do not know exactly how many were in bottle , but looks like she didn't eat a lot but not sure if she got a few of them . if she ate them it was no more than an hour ago . what should i do ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the poodle will be able to digest that. What is the poodle's name and age?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** her age is 3 1/2 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Asha?
Customer: she is my service dog and is very healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
The acetaminophen doesn't become toxic until 70 mg/lb is ingested - 2450 mg for Asha which would be in 7.5 pills. The hydrocodone can be dosed at up to 0.5 mg/lb or 17.5 mg which would be in 3.5 pills. If she isn't acting drowsy, lethargic, or ataxic ("drunken sailor") it's unlikely that she has intoxicated herself with hydrocodone. Because we don't know what she ingested, however, it's reasonable to induce emesis with 2 measuring tablespoons (45 mL) of 3% hydrogen peroxide given with a small poultry baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek. She should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose. Keep me posted, please.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?