Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog is a little bit constipated he has gas and it looks

Customer Question

my dog is a little bit constipated he has gas and it looks like his rectum might be a little bit inflamed
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He also had been licking the hardwood floors as of late late
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
His nose is warm too.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today. As long as his rectum is just inflamed and there is no sign of prolapsing of the inner tissue, we can take some steps to help get him passing stool. To start, you can offer a bit of cow's milk. Like little lactose intolerant people, this can increase gut motility and get stool passing more regularly. As well, we can start treating with a few millilitres of a GI lubricant like cat hairball treatment, Lactulose, or miralax. These can be added to food to just help relieve constipation. At the same time we can also increase his dietary fiber by adding some all bran or a spoonful of canned pumpkin to his food since this too can reduce gas and getting feces moving through the GI. Finally, since you noted gas, we can also supplement him with probiotics +/- activated charcoal to reduce this if it continues after he as passed stool. And if his rectum is quite irritated, you can gently salt water bathe it and then apply OTC hydrocortisone cream to reduce the inflammation from him. If he settles with the above, we are happy. Though if these signs linger, he is sore, or we don't see stool in 24 hours then we'd want to have a check with his vet as he may need an enema.All the best,Dr. B
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hi Andrew,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?