Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Vomiting yellow and pooping blood JA: I'm sorry to hear that.

Customer Question

Vomiting yellow and pooping blood
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that i know of
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maddie, mini schnauzer, 5.5 yrs old fully vacinnated
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maddie?
Customer: vaccinated
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. This type of stool sounds like a condition we call HGE(hemorrhagic gastroenteritis). Basically it's where there is bleeding of the GI tract and the diarrhea ends up looking like jelly or red water. The cause is often unknown but likely either infectious (bacteria/ viral) or stress induced. Diagnosis is made on rectal exam and then checking a PCV (packed cell volume or red blood cell percentage). In normal dog's it's 35-50%. In dogs with HGE that number is> 60%. Treatment is by rehydrating as they lose a lot of water and electrolytes into the colon.We usually put these dogs on IV fluids and IV antibiotics for 12-24 hours. Most will have a full recovery with aggressive treatment. Without treatment, many will resolve on their own but it can be fatal in severe cases if not treated. I would get this dog seen tonight or with your vet in the morning and get the diagnosis confirmed then treatment started. If he's not vomiting, then oral antibiotics and some Sub Q fluids may be all that is needed. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?