Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My puppy is 2 months old she is dizzy and wobbly. But can run.

Customer Question

My puppy is 2 months old she is dizzy and wobbly. But can run. She keeps scratching and biting around her lower area and her neck. She will be laying down and then hop up and start wining. It does not seem like she is scratching her ears.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Laguna
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Laguna?
Customer: She was positive for coccidia when we first got her in March and was given Albon. And she still needs to get a rabies shot
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. I have a few questions. What kind of dog is this?Is she still eating normally?What are you feeding her?Is she on a flea preventative?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Half Shepard half lab
Eating normally but as much she is drinking more than eating.
Feeding her earth born holistic natural food for puppies (it is what they gave us from the shelter)
And no we have not started a Flea preventive yet I thought she was a too young and not outside enough. Plus we are in Denver and it has been snowing still
Now that you mention it though there is an old dog house in the back yard that she just started going into recently. ??
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She is scratching and biting as if she might have fleas the she looses balance and falls over
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks. I do think it may be flea related. They're out there, even with this weather. They just move to places where it's warmer- inside, dog houses, ect. The biting at herself is a common sign of flea infestation or flea allergies. You can treat with a topical monthly flea preventative like Frontline, Revolution or Advantage. For the itching, you could also use some Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). The dose is 1-2 mg per lb body weight every 6-8 hours, as needed. Regarding the food, you really should get her on a puppy food formulated for large breed puppies. This will help to prevent joint deformities and hip dysplasia in the future. The incoordination is a little weird. It may be normal for this age puppy, but it's something that should be evaluated by a vet to be sure it's nothing truly neurologic. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?