Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

He is not Able to stand or walk on his left rear leg JA:

Customer Question

He is not Able to stand or walk on his left rear leg
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes he doesn't seem to be able the injuy
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Injured
JA: How old is Injured?
Customer: Over 8 yo. He is a chihuahua N
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about N?
Customer: No. He seems to be able in good health otherwise.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. Weakness or lameness of a rear leg in small breed dogs is most commonly due to a luxating patella where the knee cap pops in and out of the groove it sits in. Most of these can be treated symptomatically with pain meds (Rimadyl or Metacam) along with 1-2 weeks of rest. If the signs don't resolve, then we may recommend surgery to stabilize the knee. I would get an exam to make sure this is the case and to rule out other causes- ACL tear, hip dislocation, fracture, ect. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.