Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I think my 13 yr old mixed breed has had a stroke. He has all

Customer Question

I think my 13 yr old mixed breed has had a stroke. He has all the symptoms that humans do. The nearest emergency vet is an hour away and refuses to offer any suggestions. Sign of the times. I'm inclined to give him an 81 mg aspirin and watch him through the night. Anything you can offer without the risk of being sued?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. Chances are, you're dealing with a condition called Vestibular, not a stroke. Strokes are possible, but quite rare in dogs. Most owners that come in with "stroke" dogs are actually Vestibular. It's similar to vertigo in people. They have a head tilt, nystagmus (rapid back and forth eye movement) and they are falling over to one side. The cause is unknown. Most dogs are older (> 8 yrs). The good news is that it resolves on it's own over 7-10 days. I usually treat them with Meclizine- 25 mg once daily. This is to help with the motion sickness of the condition. Here is a nice write up on Vestibular in dogs: I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thx. Got same observation from Vet Tech friend of friend by later in night. Confirmed by Vet yesterday . Would not use Ask again, too slow, no email, no call. Just saw text today (tues).
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
I'm glad it was confirmed and it's nothing too serious. I'm sorry that you weren't happy with the service. We try to get answers as quickly and efficiently as possible.