Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate 4 512 percocets she a year 65 lbs pitbull

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. How long ago did this happen, how many minutes or hours ago? You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm not sure it happened between 11 am and 8pm i work long hours...she was hyper now she napping
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello
Hello again I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. I am not in your time zone so it is hard for me to work out how long ago this may have happened. However if there is any chance this happened within the last two hours or less then you should induce vomiting without delay, for the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best. LINK 2. If more than two hours has passed then the danger would be the acetaminophen component of these meds as this drug can be toxic to dogs, each tablet contains 325 mg acetaminophen making a total of { 4 x 325 } = 1300 mg in your dog's case. The toxic dose level of this drug is variable but is in the order of 100 mg / kg of bodyweight, your dog weighs 29.54 kg so the toxic dose would be 2954 mg so the chances are your dog is not at any great risk from 1300 mg. 3. Given the above it is probably safe just to observe your dog for present but if any adverse symptoms develop or you are in any doubt then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. Read more on expected symptoms etc. here : LINK 4. This lower dose while not toxic in the strict sense could be hard on your dog's stomach though so if you are not getting a vet involved then something like Pepcid for a few days could help protect her stomach lining. More info including dose rates : LINKI hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the percocet ingestion ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.