Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He keeps extending his neck and looks and sounds like he is

Customer Question

He keeps extending his neck and looks and sounds like he is gaping for air.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: He does it occasionally
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: I don't know because it is a gaping noise he make so maybe his throat
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: Not really, he is eating less
JA: OK, abnormal eating. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 3 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Boomer?
Customer: He did have surgery a weer ago to take off a viral wart. He had stitches in his ear
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Boomer's symptoms aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder but it does sound as if there is oropharyngeal or perhaps tracheal discomfort. If he were intubated (a breathing tube placed down his trachea and connected to a gas anethetic machine) during surgery last week, trauma or secondary infection in his trachea needs to be considered. Gastroesophageal reflux (GERD/acid reflux/heartburn) would be another consideration particularly because his appetite has waned. I would let his surgeon know what you're seeing. You may be asked to bring Boomer back to have his oropharynx (back of his throat) examined +/- X-rays taken of his trachea. For now, seeing how an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) dosed at 0.25 mg/lb twice daily affects Boomer would be reasonable. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.