Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My shih-tzu has the typical 'fluffy' face, undercoat,and parts

Customer Question

my shih-tzu has the typical 'fluffy' face, undercoat,and parts of his legs. His his hair on his body isn't 'fluffy' it's straight and very thin in spotsso thin I can see his skin. I have had his thyroid checked out and it was ok I give him 'blue buffalo' food. I've had this breed before and I've never had one with straight and thin hair. Any suggestions??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Sometimes he does like to chew on one or another front paw. But, that's occasionally
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Shih-tzu and he's about 1 1/2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shih-tzu?
Customer: When I first Recued him the vet said that he had a 2 degree skin infection due to a very severe flea problem . We don't know where he came from but he was in pretty bad shape. Vet Gave him anti-biotics and special shampoo. Skin improved as the 'scabs fell of during his bath. That was about a yr. ago. His hair on his back, sides, upper thighs is very straight and thin. His face, chest, underbelly, lower legs are the typical 'fluffy' shih-tzu hair
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo(s) of him to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as If alopecia is symmetrical it will be due to an endocrine or genetic abnormality. Hypothyroidism would be unlikely at his age and was understandably ruled out and so a genetic pattern alopecia/follicular dysplasia would be most likely. A color dilution alopecia should be considered as well if your Shih-Tzu is multi-colored.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm reading about your diagnosis and am planning to see my vet. And yes, my shih-tzu is multi-colored. Thank you sooo much and I'll be getting back w/ you as soon as I know something.Thanks Again,
Thank you, Brenda. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, also, is there a cure?? Or meds for this disease???
No, but it's cosmetic only and doesn't affect my patient's quality of life.