Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog was very attracted to my biotone fertilizer and cotton

Customer Question

my dog was very attracted to my biotone fertilizer and cotton burr mulch I put down while gardening. he is acting fine but seems to have episodes of diarrhea
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: i read that i can give him famotidine, which I have. He weights about 76 lbs. (lab, of course with their tendency to eat anything!)
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: he does not appear in any pain only having repeated requests to go outside to have BM's
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Milo and he is 2 1/2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Milo?
Customer: No he is extremely healthy and still quite active. up to date on his shots
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your fellow ate some fertilizer and possibly some mulch.Biotone is a pretty typical fertilizer product. I am really pleased to see that there are no herbicides as part of this product.None of the ingredients in the fertilizer are truly toxic. These are very typical ingredients in a fertilizer.High levels of nitrogen, phosphoric acid and potash can be irritating to the gastrointestinal tract, causing vomiting and diarrhea, but no long term effects. The more he ate the more symptoms that you are likely to see.Calcium without vitamin D is not well absorbed and he didn't eat enough to be of much concern.The mulch is also likely to be a gastrointestinal irritant, and is very likely to cause diarrhea. If he seems to have an upset stomach to settle his stomach you can give an acid reducer, either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours (two 10mg tabs very 12 hours for him).OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and should help him feel better. If his appetite is fine no need to give an acid reducer. And you can also feed a bland diet mix of 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice and 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) for a couple days. Add 2-4 tablespoons of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal for fiber to help cushion the irritation from mulch, and especially if you are seeing mucous in his stools. For his loose stools you can start Kao-pectate at a dose of 1/2ml per pound or 1/2 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 8-12 hours. This is quite safe and will coat his irritated gastrointestinal tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until his stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store. If you use the regular strength tablets then give 1/2 tablet per 15 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours. That should be all you need to do. And of course hide the fertilizer from him! Dogs are really attracted to them, they seem to smell very yummy.If he is especially sensitive and you see significant stomach upset that even acid reducers and a bland diet don't control then he may need to see his veterinarian for an examination, an anti-nausea injection and fluids.Please let me know if you have any questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please give me an update on your pup, thank you, ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara