Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My 9 year old bassett hound suddenly lost the use of his back

Customer Question

my 9 year old bassett hound suddenly lost the use of his back legs. does not seem to be in any pain . we had him outside yesterday so he did alot of walking, but he just drags his back legs behind him.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about Harvey's situation. With a bigger dog that suddenly has lost the use of their rear legs, the concerns can include the following: 1) FCE. firbocartilagenous emboli to the spinal cord. 2) IVDD. intervertebral disc disease. 3) Spinal trauma. 4) Spinal cord hemorrhage or tumor. With him not being in pain, the FCE is something that can present just like this. Here is a link on it. best thing I can say to do at this time is to get him to your vet / an ER clinic for them to evaluate him. They can do a physical exam, take some x-rays and possibly do some blood work to get a diagnosis. This may be something that surgery can help with - the IVDD is the prime one for this. The other course of therapy may be rest and time.