Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

Dog has a fatty tumor under / behind her right leg. when should

Customer Question

dog has a fatty tumor under / behind her right leg. when should i worry about it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.This is an interesting question you've raised and one to which you'll probably get different answers depending on who you ask. As you no doubt know, lipomas or fatty masses are one of the most commonly seen benign masses which a dog can develop as they mature.I typically don't worry too much about them...even the really large ones...except when they form/develop in the armpit. Lipomas in this location have the ability to become really, really large which, in turn, can affect mobility and the patient's gait. They can be removed when they're huge but they're often more problematic from a surgical perspective. They often require drains since there's a lot of dead space left behind which is difficult to close; management can be a bit of a headache for a week or so until the site heals. What I typically advise owners when lipomas are located in this area is to closely monitor them. If they're staying the same size for months on end, then they may not need to be removed. However, if they start to enlarge bigger than a small orange, then I'll recommend surgical removal. Of course, they can be removed before they reach this size and it's often advisable to do so since it's much easier to remove a small mass than a large one. I hope this helps. Deb