Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Dog with a history of lower intestin disease stopped eating

Customer Question

Dog with a history of lower intestin disease stopped eating yesterday this morning tried going to the bathroom and couldn't. Is now throwing up. Has thrown up about 5 or 6 times today.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.Oh my, this poor thing. I have a few further questions to help clarify what is going on and get you the best answer possible.1)What kind of lower intestine disease has he been diagnosed with?2)Is he on any sort of special (prescription) diet or medications for this?3)When as his last flare up of digestive tract issues? And, when he has his last flare up did it look like this before?4) I need to determine what exactly you are asking for as well. Are you looking for hints to try at home or trying to determine if this is an emergency situation that you need to run him in to be seen today?Thanks for answering a few more questions.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She isn't on any medications her diet is prescription hills ZD dry food 2x a day. The last flare up was about a year ago and no it consisted of rapid weight loss and diahrea. I need to know if there is anything I can do for here here or if she needs to go to the vet she has been very good for a long time. I don't remember the name of the the disease just know at the time it was very serious but she pulled thru
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.
I can certainly give you some hints to try at home but we do need to determine if this is a medical emergency such that she cannot wait to be seen until Monday when her vet is back in the office.If you check her gums and they are pale/white or yellow then she must be seen. When you touch her gums if you find them dry/tacky/sticky then she is very dehydrated and needs to be seen today. Other indications this is an emergency is if there is any blood or coffee grinds-appearing material in her vomit OR she has diarrhea which is black, or she seems extremely depressed/lethargic.IF she was my patient and you determined this not to be an emergency but wanted to try something at home I might recommend you try:1) Feed a bland diet: Try white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 meals per day.2) Give famotidine 10mg tablet every 12 hours (1/2 tab if under 20 lbs and 1 tab if over) for nausea/vomit. You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.3) IF needed for diarrhea (which may be the cause of the straining; unlikely to be constipation)-- Peptobismol liquid: Give 1 ml by mouth every 8 hours for diarrhea. This medication must be given 1 hour after any other medication as it will coat the system and can potentially prevent absorption of other medications.4) Probiotic supplementation: This is a good idea to use longer term. Start a probiotic such as one made for dogs (Proviable or Fortiflora) or you may use Culturelle as made for people (1 capsule daily). Or if you cannot get any of those products then give 1 tsp of plain yogurt once daily. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have.I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.