Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My dog just chewed uo a tripl antibiotic ointment tube JA:

Customer Question

my dog just chewed uo a tripl antibiotic ointment tube
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: addie 1 yr old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Addie?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your questions.It is always concerning when a dog eats something they shouldn't. In general there is nothing in triple antibiotic ointment that is going to cause any problems except for possibly the tube itself. Do you know if he swallowed part or all of the tube?
If the tube was just antibiotics it shouldn't be a problem, if there were other ingredients... such a lidocaine there could be cause for concern. Please let me know if there was anything more than antibtiotics in the medication.As far as the tube goes, as long as it was chewed up it will likely pass with minimal trouble, but if there are any large pieces they could pose a risk of obstruction. You can try adding fiber to the diet (such as some wheat bread) to encourage intestinal motility and monitor him. If you see any vomiting or abdominal pain then he should go to the veterinarian as these are signs of a possible obstructionI hope that helps, but if you have more questions or concerns lets me know. If not, please rate my answer.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy