How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 23838
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Not eating, hasn't drunk water since waking up and nose is

Customer Question

Not eating, hasn't drunk water since waking up and nose is dry
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Feet seem fine
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Leo - a mix - Lab and Corgi
JA: How old is Leo?
Customer: 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leo?
Customer: My daughter said he accidentally ate 1 grape last week and he seems to be scratching more than normal
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'll address your concerns as you presented them:1) "Not eating, hasn't drunk water since waking up and nose is dry" - when did these symptoms begin? If just since waking up, they haven't been present long enough to know if they're significant.2) One grape won't cause toxicity. It takes ~ 0.55 grapes/lb of body weight to cause grape toxicity and this type of toxicity is idiosyncratic (peculiar); in other words, most dogs aren't intoxicated by grapes and can safely eat them to their heart's content.3) Pruritis (itching) can indicate ectoparasites such as fleas and mites, skin infection with both bacteria and yeast, allergies to flea saliva, environmental allergens, and foods. Leo's pruritis isn't likely to be related to his anorexia and dry nose.May I have an update on Leo, please?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Leo has now eaten, drank water and seems to be doing much better. Thank you for your reply
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
Thank goodness. Thank you for the good update.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin