Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

I have a 61/2 moth old English Springer spaniel. She started

Customer Question

I have a 61/2 moth old English Springer spaniel. She started having the diarrhea Friday at 2:00 A.M. It is very runny and foul smelling. What do you suggest to help her? I have been giving her some yogurt with rice and let her drink a little bit of rice water when she will. her bottom is starting to get raw...I feel helpless Thank you for any advice
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.I recently came online and see that your question about Ruby hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you haven't received a response but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can. I can understand how distressing it must be for Ruby to still looser stools to the point where her skin is becoming raw.As to the underlying cause for her diarrhea, there are many possible explanations which range from internal parasites to IBD to viral/bacterial infections to dietary indiscretion....just to name a few examples.When presented with a dog this age, I typically would consider internal parasites (giardia, whipworms, hookworms, roundworms) to be the most common cause although the other conditions I mentioned are possible as well. If she does have internal parasites, then you may not see improvement until or unless she's wormed.Regardless, though, the following would be my suggestions: 1. Discontinue yogurt since some dogs are lactose intolerant. I suspect you were giving it to her for probiotic effects but a specific product formulated for dogs such as Forti Flora will be preferable. These products are often available at local pet or grain stores or can be purchased online (with overnight delivery). 2. Feed a bland diet of 1 part boiled, skinless, boneless chicken (or hamburg) to 4 parts 20-minute white rice. Feed only a small amount of one time, 3-4 times through the day. I would not feed any regular dog food.3. If she is not currently taking any aspirin or nsaid products and is not vomiting, then you can give Regular Strength Pepto Bismol. The dose would be 1 ml per 10 lbs of body weight 2-3 times a day.For example, if she weighs 30 lbs, then you would give him 3 mls or one/half teaspoon for one dose.Pepto bismol should not be given to vomiting dogs since it contains salicylates (the active ingredient in Aspirin) which can irritate the stomach.It can also turn the stools a grey-green color so this shouldn't concern you if it happens. 4. I would apply Vaseline or K/Y Jelly to her anal area after gently cleaning it with warm water. This material should prevent additional feces from adhering to her skin/fur. 5. Having a fecal checked by your vet would be a good thing to consider if it hasn't been done.However, having said that, I'll often worm pups with Panacur and Metronidazole together (which will take care of the internal parasites I mentioned above) even if a stool is negative since eggs are not present in every stool sample; they can be shed intermittently and can be missed. As I mentioned above, since parasites are by far the most common cause of diarrhea in a pup this age, I want to rule it out first before considering other possible causes.Panacur can often be purchased over the counter without a prescription but Metronidazole would have to be dispensed by a vet. You could worm with Panacur alone but it's often not enough to kill Giaridia, too (many species require that the drugs be given concurrently). 6. Consider Pedialyte since it can help to replace electrolytes lost when the stools are loose. I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ruby. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb