Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Our dog swallowed an electrode tens machine unit. It

Customer Question

our dog swallowed an electrode for a tens machine unit. It has been used several times and adhesive was not as sticky as when new.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She's a boykin spaniel 18 months
JA: What is the spaniel's name?
Customer: Harper
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Harper?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** How long ago was this swallowed? Does it look similar to this one? http://www.tenspros.com/Electrodes-2-x-2-Premium-White-Cloth-4pack_p_11.html?gclid=CLnnq7TKtswCFdgSgQodqzAJ2A
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, about 20 minutes ago
This is one of those situations where one option is to make Harper vomit to bring that electrode up and then it would be a non-issue. Here is a good link on inducing vomiting.http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/emergency-trauma-urgent-care/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogsFor a young, healthy dog - inducing vomiting has a good chance of getting them to bring up the object. If the object is brought up, then the issue is done. This electrode though, may not be that concerning of an object though. It is pretty small and most likely flexible and in my opinion would seem to have a decent chance of just passing benignly through an intestinal tract. If the object is left to pass, then watching for vomiting, loss of appetite for over 24 hours or abdominal pain is monitored for.
This electrode could be similar to eating a small piece of fabric such as some cloth or a sock. Sometimes when these things are eaten, they pass through benignly and sometimes they don't. There in is the unknown as the exact size of the intestinal tract and conformation of the material eaten are unknown.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?