Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have an 8 year old German Shepherd/Shar Pei mix,

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old German Shepherd/Shar Pei mix, although he acts and looks more like a hound of sorts. He has had allergies his entire life, mainly to grass, trees etc. Two days ago we noticed a hardened crusty patch of fur on his neck. Upon further investigating we noticed a gooey yellowish fluid near his skin. We attempted to cut his fur and clip it but he wasn't having it. This morning it's a lot more of the exudate but I still can't find where it's coming from. There are no cysts and no abscesses that I can find. Today when I patted on it, it also seemed to bother him. We are going to the vet when they open today but wanted to have some ideas before we got there
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. Based on your description, the lesion on Wrigley's neck sounds like a moist dermatitis (aka hot spot). These are superficial bacterial infections we can see often associated with allergy irritated skin. And as you have noted, they can get severe and even spread quite quickly. Now I am glad you are planning to have this checked by his vet. Often these lesions do need oral/systemic antibiotics +/- steroids if very itchy. Though in the meantime, you can try some supportive care to soothe this for him. To start, the first step is keeping it clean. To do so, you can cleanse them with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, betadine or even salt water --1tbsp to a pint warm water). This will just reduce the bacterial population and help dry out the area before a flare-up can occur. Further to this, you can apply topical OTC antibiotic cream to help settle the infection +/- hydrocortisone cream to reduce the itchiness that it will be causing. Usually that will be enough to settle small flare-ups. Just to note, if he has a very thick coat and dense hair over these areas, we will often shave them to get more air to the site and speed up drying out and healing of the skin. If he won't allow you to do this, then your vet can do so for you. As well, if we have dogs that are prone to these lesions, then we can also use antibacterial shampoo treatment (ie Malaseb or Zincoseb) to keep his skin bacteria in check.Overall, based on your description, this does sound very suspicious of a bacterial induced hot spot. Since it sounds to be progressing quickly, you are right to have him seen so that systemic treatment can be started to help nip this in the bud for Wrigley.Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )