Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

She is panting, hiding and walking around very unsettled. Not

Customer Question

She is panting, hiding and walking around very unsettled. Not normal behavior for her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound anywhere that I can see
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bella and 4 yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: Not really she is pacing and panting and hiding behind the couch. She doesn't want to lay down
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hello. What kind of dog is Bella?Is she having any trouble jumping up or doing stairs?Is she by any chance walking with her back arched?Any vomiting or diarrhea?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No vomiting or diarrhea no arched back. She is a Maltease. No trouble with stairs. She doesn't want to be held which is not normal
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks. It definitely sounds like she is painful somewhere. In a small breed dog like this, one of the most common causes is back pain. These dogs are usually resistant to being picked up and reluctant to jump up on furniture like they normally would. They also show vague signs of pain- panting, pacing, restlessness. The treatment is with anti-inflammatory meds (Rimadyl) and other pain meds (Gabapentin, Tramadol) and rest for 1-2 weeks. Most dogs will be back to normal within a few days. If you want to give something at home, you could give some Benadryl. This can help with mild pain and to settle her down. The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.