Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My rat just pinched her foot there was some bleeding but we

Customer Question

My rat just pinched her foot there was some bleeding but we got it to stop two of her toes are bruised should I be concerned
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. If the toes are just bruised, this shouldn't be too bad. It is possible that they are broken, but most will heal on their own over time. The big thing to watch for, is self mutilation. If she starts chewing at the toes, you really need to get her seen right away. I have seen many rats and other pocket pets that will chew off their toes after an injury. In that case, we end up having to anesthetize them and surgically amputate the toes or even the whole foot or leg. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.