Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Pearl. I think my chihuahua has injested something as she

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I think my chihuahua has injested something as she is very erratic. She's 9 yrs old and is showing symptoms of peranoia. Please help me. It's my friends dog and I'm sitting so very worried.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sophie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sophie?
Customer: I was told she was not well a few months ago. Not sure why.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. It is very possible that she ingested something. There are many meds and foods that can cause these signs. Anything with chocolate or caffeine can do this. Human anti-depressants can have this effect. Some sleeping pills can also have this effect. Most of these toxins will run their course over 12-24 hours. If you notice any muscle tremors or seizures, then I would be more worried and get to an ER vet for symptomatic care. We typically put them on IV fluids and give Cyproheptadine or Acepromazine to reverse some of the signs. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Any idea what it might be? She is usually quite calm and sleeps a lot so this is out of character
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
There are many things it could be from medications to chocolate to mold toxicity. Most of the time we don't know and we just treat symptomatically.