Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My female English bulldog started her heat with bleeding and

Customer Question

my female English bulldog started her heat with bleeding and swelling 10 days ago. I progesterone tested on day 3 of cycle and was at a less than 0.2 I then tested on day 7 and was at a 1.68 she was again tested 2 days later and was at a 1.81 and the next day was at an 80! All of the tests were done at the same time of day. Does this mean she ovulated between the Thursday and Friday testing and should I count that as her ovulation day and still AI her?
Thank you ,
KC
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. I probably would have repeated the Progesterone test when it was 80 to make sure it was accurate. If so, then she may be one that plateaus at a lower level and then has a massive surge. I would still probably try to breed this weekend in case we're still catching her ovulation. You'll definitely want to test her again Sat to see where she's at. If we miss it this time around, I would consider that 1.5 range to be her rise and start breeding 3-5 days after that rise. I hope this helps- good luck!