Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Minor ankle pain. Can I use Voltaren gel topically in very

Customer Question

minor ankle pain. Can I use Voltaren gel topically in very small amt for pain and inflammation? Has this been used for dogs? Ankle is not broken, not a bad sprain...she was running and got caught a bit, she is walking on it, but lightly. I use Voltaren for arthritis in shoulder...so until i get to vet, can i try some on her ankle for pain and to reduce inflammation?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lani and she is 9 1/2. She takes Vetmedin for her heart.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lani?
Customer: IBS...managed. Thyroid medication.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about Lani's discomfort and wish to help her.Pennsaid or Voltaren gel contain diclofenac, a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug that we don't use in dogs or cats due to increased incidents of side effects including lethargy, tremors, convulsions, difficulty breathing, abdominal pain, gastrointestinal ulcers, diarrhea, heart rhythm abnormalities including a slow heart rate, or low blood pressure. This could be a fatal toxin exposure, I do not recommend using it, especially with her history of IBD.You can apply an ice pack to the swollen joint (a frozen bag of peas works very well) for 10 minutes at a time several times a day.Please let me know if you have any further questions.