Jerry Swetnam
Jerry Swetnam,
Experience:  Chief of Staff at Banfield Pet Hospital
93862758

Her ears are clickingJA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is

Customer Question

her ears are clicking
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: ROXY, SHE IS A Boston terrier and her playmate Susie a Chiuaha constantly licks inside Roxys ears,
JA: How old is Roxy?
Customer: Roxy is 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roxy?
Customer: no she is a great Pet But I think she has a ear infection although I dont notice an odor or drainage I cleaned dirt out 4 days ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jerry Swetnam replied 7 months ago.
Hi there this is Dr. Scott. I would be glad to give you my advice. It is possible that Roxy has otitis externa or an outer ear infection. It is possible she may also have a middle and/or inner ear infection. I assume the "clicking" is either when she shakes her head or you rub them. Dogs have an L shaped ear canal (Horizontal and Vertical) and it is likely she has some fluid in the horizontal ear canal. The best advice I can give is to have a veterinarian take a look with an otoscope. They would most likely then do some cytology on the type of cells in the ear- yeast, bacteria, mites. On bad bacteria cases, especially if they are seeing rod shaped bacteria, it would be important to do a culture and sensitivity. They then would likely prescribe medication to clean the ears and treat what ever the cause is (bacteria, yeast, mites). Dilute white vinegar and water can be used to clean for now. DO NOT use straight water, peroxide, or rubbing alcohol. Sometimes there may an underlying cause that sets the stage for ear infections such as allergies (food, environmental), hypothyroidism, tumors, conformation etc. Again, make sure this is discusses with your veterinarian.
Ear infections most certainly are no fun to Roxy so I wish her a speedy recovery.