Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

We have a Miniature Schnauzer that's 8 years old. He's in great

Customer Question

We have a Miniature Schnauzer that's 8 years old. He's in great health and we have always taken very good care of him. He has regular vet check ups as well as preventative supplements for cancer and heart issues. Today I notice a fatty type lump under his right front arm near his elbow. I can move it around a bit, and it doesn't seem to hurt, it not quite as big a golf ball.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the miniature schnauzer's name?
Customer: Oscar
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oscar?
Customer: Not really, he also had a similar lump under his right jaw a few years ago. We took him to our vet and she thought it was a fatty tumor, and it did go completely away, other than that he is in good health.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I meant to say right from leg, not arm!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. This is most likely a lipoma (fatty lump). To be on the safe side, though, I would have your vet do a needle aspirate of it and chart it in his record. Even these lipomas, it's nice to keep a record of the location and size so we know if there is any change over time. In the rare instance that it ends up actually being a bad lump, we can surgically remove it and biopsy it while it's still fairly small. If caught early, most can be cured with surgery alone. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?