Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Dog ate 15 mg mirtazapine pill JA: I'm sorry to hear that.

Customer Question

Dog ate 15 mg mirtazapine pill
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 4 years old and is a chawenni
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Claennis?
Customer: Ressa is the dogs name
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
Anecdotal dosages for mirtazapine in dogs range from 3.75-30 mg once daily. This drug appears to be well-tolerated in dogs. Besides the desirable side effect of appetite stimulation, other currently reported side effects in animals include: drowsiness/sedation, vocalization, hypotension, and tachycardia (increased heart rate). The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center reports that of all of the single exposures in dogs, most (53%) became agitated, 29% lethargic, 19% vocalizing, 19% panting, and 14% tremoring.I would see if we can avoid those symptoms by inducing emesis in Ressa. Dosing her with 5 mL (one measuring teaspoon)/5 lbs of body weight with 3% hydrogen peroxide should make her vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose. An eyedropper or small poultry baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek should facilitate dosing her. Please keep me posted.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dog spit the pill out. She's fine
That's the best news of all! Thank you for taking the time to let me know.