Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dogs left ear flap is swollen

Customer Question

My dogs left ear flap is swollen
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How old is Charlie? 2- How long has this been going on? 3- Does the swelling feel like filled with fluid? 4- Can you look inside both of his ears for evidence of an infection like: Redness, bad odor, discharge, etc.?
Friend, if the swelling feels like fluid this is called an "Aural Hematoma." This when the pinnae (floppy part of the ear) becomes filled with blood secondary to damage to the vessels as a result of any form of trauma. Treatment involves draining the blood and leaving a drain in place for the blood to drain. If the hematoma is not treated the body will eventually reabsorb the blood but the ear may become disfigured (cauliflower like). This is not a life threatening condition, but, should be seen by your family veterinarian for drain placement. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can recommend for you to try at home. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.