Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

What are the best treatments that can be done at

Customer Question

What are the best treatments for mange that can be done at home in the shortest amount of time?A BIT OF BACKGROUND: I'm trying to rescue six 4 month old puppies but need to have them in the best health possible for a rescue group to be willing to help. Their owner is of no help. And due to having lived in an olive orchard their whole short lives, they aren't used to affection from humans so I'm working on that too in order to *hopefully* get them to a vet. But - I need to treat their facial hair loss asap. Thank you!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hello.Is this Demodex or Scabies?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi. I believe it's demodex mange based on the hair loss being on their face at this point.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks. The best treatment is Ivermectin orally. If that is not an option, you can do Lyme Sulfur dips at home. Dipping every 2 weeks for months can be effective. The other options with Advantage or Bravecto or Interceptor are much less labor intensive, but they are more expensive. Ultimately, you need repeat skin scrapings as we continue treatment until we get 2 negative scrapings 2 weeks apart. Here is a nice link on the disease:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=630 I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Not Named. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Dr. Gary,I am unable to convince the dog owners to commit to treating the dogs with dips. And without a prescription I can't obtain an oral medication to help them as quickly as possible. Which is a twofold issue because in order to even treat them and eventually take them from the property for rescue I'd need to sedate them somehow (nothing that would risk them being completely unconscious). So.....no update other than trying to find ways around the issues. :)